It’s the start of a new hockey season and a full one at that! We came across this list of 11 fun facts about hockey pucks:and we just had to share.
1. The earliest hockey pucks were played with chunks of frozen cow dung.
2. NASA uses “two-ton hockey pucks” to train astronauts.
3. The first rubber hockey pucks were made from sliced –up lacrosse balls.
4. You can celebrate the hockey puck’s “birthday” on February 7th.
5. A Swedish player once scored by dropping the puck out of his pants.
6. Angry voters once took to mailing hockey pucks.
7. The fastest puck shot on record reached 114 miles per hour.
8. Fox television once used a high-tech hockey puck.
9. Pucks can actually be split during games.
10. “Ya Hockey Puck!” was Don Rickles’ Favorite Insult.
11. The Average NHL Game Uses a Dozen Pucks.
There’s also a bonus ‘Fun Fact’! Click here to see what it is and to watch some of the ‘Fun Facts’ videos.
Mancini, Mark. “11 Fun Facts About Hockey Pucks.” MentalFloss.com http://mentalfloss.com/article/32285/11-fun-facts-about-hockey-pucks